Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mamma Vintage???



When asked to title my blog, I sat staring blankly at the screen, waiting for the wave of inspiration to strike. And then I waited a little more. And a little more.

What an odd and overwhelming request--like being asked to title your life! And not to discourage you from reading my blog or anything, but it's not as if my existence has contained the material of epic novels or anything. Not even close. It doesn't even seem title-able.

But after contemplating my existence a little more, the essence of this blog became suddenly clear. And the title really does say it all (or maybe most) . . .

MAMMA - First and foremost, I am a mother of two. It is my most colossal identity. Like every other mom in the world, my motherhood is at the very core of my being and composes the roots of my reality and of my spirit.

VINTAGE - Meaning classic, nostalgic, traditional, old-fashioned. These seem to be ideas that I very much connect with not only in my maternal instincts, but in most of my life.

mamMa - Why the extra M? "Mamma" is the Italian version of mother. And although I am actually not Italian, I seem to always have had somewhat of a possibly abnormal infatuation with this culture. I used to even lie when asked if was Italian! "Why yes, I am, thank you." But now I am satisfied with just obsessing over this country and fantasizing about the day when I will get to drive along the coast of Southern Italy.

And it is the fascination with this culture that helps me to adjust to my role as Mamma. Whether I have nauseating spit-up in my hair, I am overwhelmed by the inevitable grief of life, or I am listening to uninterrupted whining for hours on end, I will always take refuge in family, friends, love, a large glass of wine and very good food.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to say that one of my children has blessed you with some of that nasty spit-up in your most beautiful Italian locks...a moment that bonded us forever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Mamma Vintage! I love to hear your thoughts and experiences.