Friday, September 28, 2012

A Letter to Myself

In seventh grade, our history teacher had us write ourselves a letter that we would receive in the mail the year we graduated from high school. I remember writing the letter and thinking it was really odd. But when I received that letter, it was really awesome to read my words written five years prior.

I think I am going to do this again. I am unsure of the logistics of this; whether I will actually mail it or just tuck it away somewhere. But I want to remember in detail the everyday circumstances of my life right now. We all have ups and downs in life, good times and bad.

This week, I am on a high :)

No momentous occasion has brought on my happiness today. But my family is delightful and healthy. Homeschooling is going well. I go to sleep each night very, very tired, but proud of my hard day's work. While my plate is very full, my heart is fuller and spilling over the brim.

In Mass this week, my eyes kept welling up as Joshua cuddled into my side during the sermon. Both he and Noah have taken a surprising interest in attending daily Mass. While this can be challenging to get to, it is such a special way to begin our day. As Joshua nestled into my side, I couldn't help but think, "How much longer will this last?"

These days are precious and fleeting. I want to cherish it. Savor it. And remember it. How long will my sons hold my hand? How many more Christmases do we have full of magic? This is the phase of motherhood that I have always dreamed of. Beyond it lies the unknown; an abyss of parenting adolescents and young adults. I realize even though that phase of parenting is challenging in different ways, it will have its own rewards. But those rewards are much less tangible to me and difficult for me to picture.

Right now, each day is full of the moments I've pictured since I was a little girl and knew I wanted to be a mommy: kisses on scraped knees, bedtime prayers, pancakes in pajamas, snuggling on the couch around a favorite story, games of peek-a-boo, tender moments and loving eyes that words can't describe.

This is my life right now. May I continue to remember, no matter what life brings, how very blessed I am. And just in case I forget, I think I'll write myself a reminder. 


2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. I am also a Mother of a young child, a girl and I know what you mean. This time is so wonderful and we know it won't last so we have to hold on with all of our might. I posted something similar in the emotion this summer...
    http://www.ibjennyjenny.com/2012/05/little-girl-she-is-today.html
    Great post, wonderful writing, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Rebecca! Thank you for the beautiful reminder. Our lives are so full and we are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Mamma Vintage! I love to hear your thoughts and experiences.