Sunday, June 8, 2014

In the Eyes of a Child = In the Eyes of God

On any given day, I could be sweaty and stinky; have messy, greasy hair; not have showered or consequently shaved in far too long; be wearing a spit-up encrusted bathrobe with damp ends to my sleeves from doing the dishes; have large bags under my eyes due to too many nights with little sleep; be wearing no makeup to cover those bags; not have brushed my teeth; and lastly, have quite a grumpy look on my my face due to tiredness and the disgusting state that I'm in.

On that very same day, Veronica will gaze at me adoringly and say very sweetly and sincerely, "Aaaaaaw - Your eyelashes are SO beautiful."

Overlooking all of my faults when I am at my absolute worst, she is able to see through all of that and love me in an all encompassing way. In the midst of B.O., bad breath and stubbly legs, she still adores me. She still believes me to be amazing and wonderful just the way I am. And I don't even have great eyelashes! In fact, I think they're getting a little sparse!

Jesus is the same way. He doesn't see the selfishness. He doesn't see the laziness. He doesn't see the pride. He is able to look through all of our faults and love us for the one good thing we did that day. Or perhaps more accurately, He sees all of those faults but loves us anyway.

At three years old, Veronica is sometimes able to look at me with the eyes of God. It's very humbling! Of course, I am not worthy of her adoration, but there it is all the same.

Likewise, we are not worthy of Jesus' love and sacrifice for us, but there it is all the same.

If only, as adults, we could see ourselves and see each other the way Veronica sees me. The way God sees ALL of us.

Let that sink in.

Can you look past all of your faults, past all of the things you are ashamed and embarrassed of, past all of the things you don't like about yourself? Can you look past those things and truly love who you are the way a three-year-old loves their parents? The way the Lord loves you?

Can you look past the faults of others? The wreckless driver who cuts you off on the highway? The stranger at the grocery store who rudely insults you? The friend who is always making the same mistakes? The family member who rubs you wrong? Your child who is driving you crazy and refuses to listen? Your spouse who cannot understand where you are coming from?

Furthermore, can you not only look past these faults, but truly love these people, truly see them as your brothers and sisters in Christ?

OF COURSE, NEITHER CAN I.

Today is Pentecost. It is the day that Jesus sent the Holy Spirit onto His disciples so that they might do God's work and spread the good news. It is the day that the Holy Spirit filled the disciples up, giving them powers and strengths that they would not have otherwise had.

Supernatural powers. 

The Holy Spirit is available to all of us. All we have to do is ask. Father Brad said today, "The Holy Spirit tends to go where It is wanted."

May we WANT to receive the Holy Spirit.

May we crave the grace that we can receive only through the Holy Spirit.

And by the power we receive from the Holy Spirit, may we begin to love ourselves and each other the way Jesus does.

And when that seems absolutely impossible, may we be filled with hope. Filled with joy. Filled with the knowledge that we don't have to do it alone, for rather, it is only when we rely on the power of God that we may begin to love the way God does.

It is my prayer that I may begin to see myself and others the way Veronica looks at me; with acceptance, honor, wonder, admiration and love.

It is my prayer that, with the help of the Holy Spirit, I may begin to love the way God loves. It is my prayer for me and it my prayer for all humanity. With all of the bleakness, sadness, torment, hate and desperation in the world, we ALL must pray for this.

Come, Holy Spirit, Come. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Mamma Vintage! I love to hear your thoughts and experiences.